Support Group Advocate
This is a bilingual (English/Spanish) position.
The Network/La Red is a survivor-led, social justice organization with over 30 years’ experience working to end partner abuse in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, SM, polyamorous, and queer communities. Our organization and staff are recognized locally and nationally as experts in providing survivor-centered services and as thought leaders on the issue of LGBQ/T partner abuse. We blend our history and commitment to being survivor-led, our analysis of LGBQ/T partner abuse, and our commitment to being an anti-oppressive organization to create a unique framework that is the foundation of our survivor-centered approach.
We are who we work with, the staff, volunteers, and board of directors of TNLR are members of the very communities the organization serves. We believe that survivors are the experts on their own lives and are therefore committed to centering survivor voices and leadership in all aspects of our work. While we offer services for survivors of partner abuse, we also organize and educate about the issue to create the change we believe is possible for our communities.
Title: Support Group Advocate
Location: Boston, MA (between two offices) and possibility of statewide work
Hours: 40 hours/week, varied schedule with some evenings and weekends required
Supervised by: Support Group Coordinator
TNLR seeks a Support Group Advocate to facilitate weekly groups and provide other direct services for LGBQ/T, SM, and polyamorous survivors of partner abuse.
- Carry out initial interviews for support groups and facilitate weekly group meetings
- Provide outreach about support group services around the state
- Conduct support group assessments
- Provide advocacy, court accompaniment, and individual peer support/counseling for LGBQ/T, SM, and polyamorous survivors of partner abuse
- Provide crisis intervention, safety planning, counseling, and information/referrals through the hotline
- Maintain relationships with community groups, organizations, advocates, among others, to facilitate advocacy and referrals
- Attend coalitions, roundtables, as well as other outreach activities as appropriate to increase awareness of The Network/La Red’s direct services
- Maintain records, statistics, provide reports as necessary
- Other duties as assigned/needed
Qualifications, Strengths, and Skills: We hire for life experience. People of color, transgender people, and survivors of partner abuse are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants must be bilingual (Spanish/English). In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 1-year experience in at least two of the following areas: Group facilitation, LGBQ/T partner abuse work, other partner abuse work, and/or direct services/crisis intervention
- A passion for social justice/social change
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- The ability to juggle multiple responsibilities, including the tension between daily tasks, current projects, and crisis intervention
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
Compensation: Salary in mid $40s, full health insurance (HPHC) and dental insurance (Delta Dental), Simple IRA, and generous time off.
Application Details: Position to start as soon as possible. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send a resume and letter by email: support [at] tnlr [dot] org or post: PO Box 6011, Boston, MA 02114.
The Network/La Red does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.