The Network/La Red is a survivor-led, social justice organization with over 30 years’ experience working to end partner abuse in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, SM, polyamorous, and queer communities. Our organization and staff are recognized locally and nationally as experts in providing survivor-centered services and as thought leaders on the issue of LGBQ/T partner abuse. We blend our history and commitment to being survivor-led, our analysis of LGBQ/T partner abuse, and our commitment to being an anti-oppressive organization to create a unique framework that is the foundation of our survivor-centered approach.
We are who we work with, the staff, volunteers, and board of directors of TNLR are members of the very communities the organization serves. We believe that survivors are the experts on their own lives and are therefore committed to centering survivor voices and leadership in all aspects of our work. While we offer services for survivors we also organize and educate about partner abuse to create the change we believe is possible for our communities.
Role Title: Outreach and Education Associate
Location: Massachusetts, this position works between two offices, out in the community and does trainings in Massachusetts and parts of New England.
Hours: 40 hours/week; varied schedule with some evenings and weekends required
Supervised by: Capacity Building Manager
The Outreach and Education Associate (OEA) will provide outreach and education about LGBQ/T partner abuse and our services. This position’s education work will primarily focus on providing LGBQ/T Partner Abuse trainings as well as other trainings designed to increase LGBQ/T survivor access to services in mainstream programs. This position will also secondarily educate the community about partner abuse and TNLR’s survivor services. The OEA position will also provide outreach at community events.
- Provide trainings to providers to increase their capacity to work with LGBQ/T survivors.
- Provide trainings to community groups about the issue of partner abuse and our services.
- Schedule, coordinate and respond to training requests.
- Co-Facilitate Partner Abuse Community Educator (PACE) trainings for volunteers and staff.
- Support and mentor PACE volunteers.
- Attend outreach events around the state.
- Work with the Community Awareness Associate to attend Pride Events around the state.
- Participate in program development and other organizational projects.
- Contribute to organizational committees as appropriate.
- Provide support to survivors of LGBQ/T partner abuse as needed, including hotline.
- Maintain files of program activities, provide program information and reports as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned/necessary.
Qualifications, Strengths, and Skills: We hire for life experience – formal education is not required. People of color, transgender people, survivors of partner abuse especially encouraged to apply. In addition, the ideal candidate will:
- Be bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Have a minimum of 1 year of experience in at least 2 of the following areas: LGBQ/T partner abuse; training/public speaking; organizing/community outreach; communications.
- Be a “people person” – enjoy talking with people (in person and on the phone), have experience making and maintaining connections in community, and be able to represent the organization in professional and social settings.
- Have excellent listening, organizational, and communication skills.
- Be able to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities, including the stress of juggling daily tasks, ongoing projects, and crisis support of survivors as it comes up.
- Have a passion for social change/social justice.
- Be energetic and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Be self-motivated.
The Network/La Red does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Compensation: Salary in mid $40s, full health insurance (HPHC) and dental insurance (Delta Dental), Simple IRA, generous time off.
Application details: Position to begin as soon as possible. Please send a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample. In the writing sample, motivate people into action or describe a time you have tried to motivate people into action. The writing sample should demonstrate how you communicate about an issue that you’re passionate about. Please send all materials to:
- By email: ed.oeo [at] tnlr [dot] org
- By post: P.O. Box 6011, Boston MA 02114