The Network/La Red is a survivor-led, social justice organization with over 30 years’ experience working to end partner abuse in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, SM, polyamorous, and queer communities. Our organization and staff are recognized locally and nationally as experts in providing survivor-centered services and as thought leaders on the issue of LGBQ/T partner abuse. We blend our history and commitment to being survivor-led, our analysis of LGBQ/T partner abuse, and our commitment to being an anti-oppressive organization to create a unique framework that is the foundation of our survivor-centered approach.
We are who we work with, the staff, volunteers, and board of directors of TNLR are members of the very communities the organization serves. We believe that survivors are the experts on their own lives and are therefore committed to centering survivor voices and leadership in all aspects of our work. While we offer services for survivors we also organize and educate about partner abuse to create the change we believe is possible for our communities.
Role Title: Fundraising Events Planner
Location: Massachusetts, this position works between two offices and out in the community
Hours: 40 hours/week; varied schedule with some evenings and weekends required
Supervises: Fundraising volunteers and interns
Supervised by: Grassroots Fundraising Coordinator
The Fundraising Events Planner creates and coordinates fundraising events that will support the organization’s grassroots fundraising goals. This includes leading the organizing of our annual fundraiser, Paint the Town La Red (PTTLR), developing new fundraising events, and working with community groups and businesses to run fundraising events for TNLR such as cell phone drives, house parties, restaurant fundraisers, and other ad-hoc fundraisers.
- Coordinate and manage annual fundraiser, PTTLR–plan and implement the online to in-person Silent Auction; solicit sponsors and donors; recruit and coordinate the PTTLR volunteer fundraising committee, and other related activities.
- Design additional innovative grassroots fundraising events to accomplish fundraising goals).
- Recruit and coordinate the PTTLR volunteer fundraising committee.
- Relationship-build with community groups and businesses to encourage fundraising for the organization and bring the issue of partner abuse into the community.
- Liase with community groups and businesses to provide materials, information, and representation related to TNLR as they fundraise for us.
- Coordinate with relevant staff on grassroots fundraising-related web and media outreach.
- Coordinate appreciation of donors involved with fundraising events.
- Assist the Grassroots Fundraising Coordinator with the coordination of annual donor appreciation event.
- Attend Fundraising Committee Meetings.
- Update and maintain CRM database (donorperfect), provide reports and program information as it relates to event fundraising.
- Provide support to survivors of LGBQ/T partner abuse as needed, including hotline.
- Other duties as assigned/necessary.
Qualifications: We hire for life experience – formal education is not required. While preferred, direct fundraising experience is not necessary – we are looking for translatable skills and will provide training. People of color, transgender people, survivors of partner abuse especially encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will:
- Have demonstrated experience in at least four of the following areas: grassroots fundraising; marketing; event planning; social media; communications; database management; LGBQ/T domestic violence; community outreach; volunteering; community organizing.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Have outstanding organizational skills and incredible attention to detail.
- Have exceptional listening and interpersonal skills – be diplomatic when communicating with people (in person, on the phone, and via email).
- Enjoy meeting people and developing relationships.
- Have experience making and maintaining connections in community and representing an organization in professional and social settings.
- Be bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Be a forward thinker and use creative problem-solving skills to consistently improve our grassroots fundraising.
- Have exemplary time management skills to handle multiple projects and responsibilities with competing priorities.
- Have a passion for social change/social justice.
- Be adaptable and conduct themselves well under pressure.
- Maintain enthusiasm for working independently as well as within a team.
The Network/La Red does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Compensation: Salary in mid $40s, full health insurance (HPHC) and dental insurance (Delta Dental), Simple IRA, generous time off
Application details: Position to begin as soon as possible. Please send a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample. In the writing sample, motivate people into action or describe a time you have tried to motivate people into action. The writing sample should demonstrate how you communicate about an issue that you’re passionate about. Please send all materials to:
- By email: ed.oeo [at] tnlr [dot] org
- By post: P.O. Box 6011, Boston MA 02114